Thursday, September 10, 2009

Websites...

Teachers need to evaluate websites because the internet can be a scary place for people who do not know how to use it properly. Children are vulnerable when it comes to computer use and appropriate steps need to be taken to insure their safety. Teachers need to make sure the website is “kid friendly”, this means that the materials that are displayed on the websites need to be suitable for the age group in which you are teaching. Also teachers need to make sure the sites are useful for the assignment. There are also many websites that display fake or wrong information and teachers need to insure that data is correct.
I think that people do not take the time to truly evaluate websites. They take the internet for granted and believe that everything posted on the internet is true, when in most cases it is not. People believe what they see and do not investigate to make sure that the site is reliable and accurate. People do not check the copyrights dates on the bottom of websites to make sure the sites are up to date. I think people quickly eye the sites to make sure there is nothing disturbing and make sure the site contains information that can be useful in their search. Also, people tend to sign up for “free gifts” or join different sites and give out personal information, such as their home addresses, phone numbers and e-mail addresses when in reality they should not.
Before I allowed my students to use computer I would teach them about proper safety precautions must be taught to the student. I would review the rules of the computer and make sure they understand that personal information should never be given out. Also, I would make sure my students remained on task and were completing the assignment. I would watch over my students to make sure they remain on task. I would also remind my students to report anything that shows up on the internet that makes them feel uncomfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment